Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Good play again - but no real money

Interesting game last night

I came 15th or so in the 10:00 $4.5k $55 tourny on Crypto last night. There were 103
runners so I won $51.5 or so giving me a small loss for the evening.

I'd been avoiding this tourny a bit as the field seemed a bit tougher than the 9.30
tourny which I'd been making enough time to play in.

I played really well actually. I played pretty tight early (though aggressively, natch) and built a decent, though not huge stack. I was getting very good at spotting opportunities to get my chips in ahead when holding stong-ish hands (eg 99,A8).

I also improved (nearly eliminated) my inclination to raise with garbage into strong
opponents and get re-stolen.

It led to the nice opportunity to be able to raise 3x on he button with 99 exactly on the bubble. The SB called(!) and the BB pushed. It was a good move from the BB, but I'm pretty sure he's trying it on - and he was turning over 10-4 which missed. I was
more worried about a slow-played monster from the SB as it happened.

I lost some chips when my button AT ran into UTGs slow-played KK.

Other than that the end was 3 hands where I was a +cEV but lost each time.

Firstly the SB pushed into my A8 with K4.
Secondly I re-raised shorty's push from the SB with QT and lost to his 88. He has
a very wide range here, and I'm 40-45% against them according to Stove. The
re-raise was to push out the BB, and with the overlay of the BB and antes I'm getting about 2.6:1
Thirdly (next hand - and I'm short) its folded round to me on the button holding KQo, and I lose to the SBs 66.

Despite the run at the end it was a good game. There was noone left who I recognised
and noone who had shown any vast ability - so I'd guess I was amongst the better players who remained.

As a side note my short-handed play is improving. It used to be a weakness of mine
and I was often hoping I'd be on a larger table and without really noticing the transition I suddenly don't feel this now. Feeling optimistic again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home