Monday, October 22, 2007

Close again in the $4.5k

The Crypto 10:00pm is the only tournament I enter regularly which I haven't won - and last night I came 3rd. I played pretty well again, with my moves working, and only needing to get lucky once.

I started slowly (no cards) and was down to 1200 or so as the blinds started getting noticeable but the usual controlled aggression had me chipping up soon after. I got lucky when my QQ beat KK (and someone else holding A8), the original raiser being the A8 player - who I read for a poor hand - but the KK fellow flat-called. I pushed and was amazed he had such a strong hand. But I sucked out. After that it was pretty solid play that got be through to the $580 prize.

The night before I had an extraordinary game, where I was short stacked for what seemed like ages. I kept pushing with strong, and marginal hands where I could (twice I push ATG with pretty terrible hands as I didn't want to have to post the blinds and lose my limited FE). Normally you double up or go bust, but I kept winning the blinds, and I kept increasing my stack, but barely keeping up with the blinds. It was really weird how long this went on for, and eventually I pushed over the top of someone who limped with a proper holding (AQ I think) and was dominated, but it was a strange night.

Today I missed registering for the $55, so played the $22 at 10:30, and was clearly one of the best players in the tourny (he says modestly) but managed to completely mess up on the first hand after the break where I wasn't concentrating, and some fool managed to get all her chips in with 87s, having hit top pair. My 2 over-cards and backdoor flush draw weren't enough. Ot was awful play by me. I knew this person overplayed weak hands, rather than ran elaborate bluffs, and while my pre-flop raise was OK I completely misplayed the flop. Anyway, it was only $22.

My bankroll is up to 4.5k now. I will enter some higher buy-in tournaments soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home