Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Playing Cash!

Oddly, I now find myself playing cash.

I've been 3-tabling (more recently 4-tabling) full-ring $25NL tables, and doing OK. I'm up about 8 buyins, having become more aggressive than I was.

I became aware that I was playing drawing hands passively and if I ever hit I wasn't getting paid off - so I realised that if I was playing aggresively I could make money just playing small-ball poker. So I did.

At least that was for the last couple of nights. Last night thought I signed on during FTP's happy hour (double FTP points) and the tables were both much fuller, and much tougher. Not really tough or anything, but I needed to be more patient rather than just try and run over the tables. That took me a while to adjust to. I played OK though although I was down - until the last hand where I misplayed a draw.

I called a min-raise with T9o from the BB and 3 players saw the flop. The flop was 87x rainbow. I checked, the original raiser bet about 1.25, the second player called and I raised to $7.5. Call/fold. The turn was a T, which gives me a few more outs if villain has an over-pair, and I push the last of my chips in (about a pot-sized bet) and am called by QQ. I river the straight of course which meant I had made a small profit from the session, but not by playing well.

I'm still struggling to figure out how to play draws (its always been a weakness of mine). Variables include:

My number of outs
Number of villains
Villain's tendencies
Position
Stack sizes

I think in the case of the hand above I need to play it more passively on the assumption I'm better off taking villain to value-town if I hit, and I'm unlikely to have any fold equity with my aggresion.

Good fun at the moment though. I'm winning at ~10BB/100 over about 4k hands. No sample size of course - I really need to get to 10k before the numbers mean anything, and then much higher before they mean a lot.

Other things I'll need to consider if I continue playing cash is:
1) Move up in limits (I'm pretty sure I can beat $25NL, so having a crack at $50NL seems an obvious target)
2) Play more tables - currently I'm playing 4. I'll do this for a bit and consider adding more.
3) Move to 6max. I've always preferred FR though, but there must be many reasons why people play 6max. The win-rate is higher I hear, which is compensated slightly by people playing more tables at FR - but I've never been a great multi-tabler.

I'm also now using PokerTracker properly, and starting to explore some of the more advanced features which is proving interesting too.

Maybe a change is proving as good as a rest (and the potential for reduced variance can only be a good thing as I try and build my roll for LV).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home