Monday, April 20, 2009

Multitabling

I am really bad at multitabling.

Currently I'm playing 2 tournaments at a time or 3 (occasionally 4) cash games.

I normally sign up for 2 45-man tournies at once, so I'm roughly the same way through them both, and then when they are both done I will consider signing up for 2 more. I still make too many mistakes though. I've occasionally found myself not factoring in the stack sizes of the people behind me enough when evaluating my raising ranges, and finding myself open to potential problems should one of them re-shove on me. The early stage play has generally been fine.

Last night I reached two final tables, eventually finishing 4th and 2nd. I've got a pretty good record heads-up, but I don't think I played that well, and I put much of this down to being 4-handed at the other table for a while. I'm probably at me weakest at 3 and 4 handed tables (too tight, not restealing enough, not situationally aware etc) and so I was at the most important time on one table whilst I was having to concentrate elsewhere.

I had spent some time recently (since my last post saying I was only going to 2-table) considering 3 or 4 tabling, but I really mustn't as it would be too much of a -ev move if my cashes all happened at the same time. If I was 1 tabling I could win 4 games in a row (unlikely, but possible). I can't imagine I could do that 4 tabling as I can't conceive of playing 4 FTs simultaneously.

Anyway, about the HU play, last night:
I started with a 3:1 chip lead, and managed to get reasonably close to winning - but not close enough, and I ended up getting my chips in behind a couple of times to let my opponent double up twice. Annoying.

I've also found myself laying elaborate traps. I limp/folded a couple of hands pre, with the specific intention of limp/shoving a strong hand later - and although I was dealt 88 and TT (and A9 IIRC) and limped villain didn't oblige annoyingly. After that I reverted back to opening with a raise and had much more success. I don't think villain was re-stealing enough so I should probably have just played like this more.

Part of the consideration is how best to play heads-up. If villain is super-aggro then a passive game can work quite well, but this guy had reached heads-up quite quietly (I hadn't really noticed him, weirdly - maybe we ended up both playing pots against the other players) so I didn't really have enough of a read to divert from a sensibly aggressive strategy.

I OPR'ed him today and discovered he was very high in their rankings (top ~0.1%) so he must have been better than I thought.

I'm still just on the fringes of the top 1%. My 2 cashes last night pushed me to 99.06% for the year.

BR is $3750 I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home