Friday, June 05, 2009

Moving back down - and an interesting live game

My now really quite large downswing continues. My BR is around $1950 now, and I'm playing the 11/45s - still no luck though. Sigh.

Anyway I went to Luton last week to play in the usual £75+11 tourny. The feel of the tournament was very different this time - there were no good players there. Woo-hoo! It seems that the blind structure was changed to make the tournament a bit faster and all the good players left as their edge was too small. Now they've reverted the structure back but they haven't returned yet. Lovely.

Anyway my first table was very weak with loads of pre-flop limping and family pots. It took me a while to realise that nobody was going to attack, so I did a bit, although belatedly.

I misplayed one hand hilariously when I had Q9 from the SB and saw a 5-way hand. The flop came 9-high so I bet out fully expecting to take the pot down. 3 callers. OK. The turn was a blank, putting 2 diamonds on the board. Checked round. The river was another non-descript card - but was a diamond. I think somebody has the flush. I check, 2 more checks and the last player to act (who was actually capable of playing well) put a big bet in. I ummed-and-ahhed for a while before pretty much deciding to fold my top pair (a call would have been terrible) and looked at my cards (which I only ever do when preparing to fold) to see both my cards were diamonds and I had made the flush! I then had to decide whether to raise or not, but having thought for so long over a dodgy call I felt I had to move quickly so just called. The table were staggered when I turned my cards over (as was villain who had a straight and would have certainly called a raise).

Other than that brain-fart I played pretty well - one flip helped -until with about 24 left I was probably in the top 2/3 chip stacks. I had about 28k chips with blinds at 400/800/75a. Then there was a strange moment where a fairly aggressive player raises to 3.2k UTG, I'm on the button with AKs and wondering how I'm going to play this and the chap to my right pushes his short-ish stack of 11k. UTG has about 19k and after a lot of though I iso-shove, but UTG has QQ and CO has AKs, so I'm drawing very thin indeed.

UTG felt I could have got away from this hand as its a lot of my stack to commit on at best a flip - and I could be a long way behind. Plus I have a large stack and a weak table. I'm still not sure what was right.

The trip to Luton was very encouraging though - there was a terribly weak cash game going too (1/1 - low buy-ins) that I was rolled to play - but I didn't bust out of the tourny till about 2 and was pretty shattered.

The late running of the tourny is a problem actually. Firstly if I run deep I doubt I will be playing my A-game as its so late - and the drive back may be a bit hairy. I took the wrong route twice!

Nevertheless the astonishing quality of the players makes me itch for a repeat journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home