Sunday, January 13, 2008

Finally a cash!

Playing the £22 £1500 guaranteed tonight I finally hit the money, coming in fourth for £194. This is some way below my big cashes of recent past but a welcome relief nontheless.

I made one good laydown early with a Q-high flush on a paired board (the K was also on the flop - but I'm convinced my opponent rivered a full house).

I had some moments of luck. In short order near the bubble I pushed with QT from the SB and was called by the BB with 99 and won that, then shortly after my AK turned a K against QQ. Again all-in pre. Its been so long since I won some of these (near) conflips - especially when being on the wrong side of the marginal edge - that I felt more guilty than normal. Anyway that set me up with a nice stack, and I coasted really through to the final table.

I played quite well thereon really. I ran into AA twice on the final table. The guy on my right bad pushed into my BB several times and I'd never had 1/2 a hand to call. After than he flat-called, and I took it away from him on the flop with a small bet. Next time round, again he flat calls pre. I see a flop and hit a pair - but he has the bullets.

Shortly after this I try a button raise with K3s but get min-re-raised by the SB. I call (debatable play) and then call his push when the flop has a K but he too has AA.

Still I'm pretty happy with fourth and my play. I'm conscious that I'd struggle to try some of the moves I make live, but I just have to force myself to in Vegas.

Separetely I've been playing a bit of HORSE - just for play money. Boy is that a strange game. How anyone keeps track of it I don't know. I struggle to work out what my own hand is in Omaha, let alone in Omaha HI/LO or Stud HI/LO. And on top of that I'm supposed to be putting my opponent on hands. Crackers.

I can see why hold 'em took off so much. Wiser heads than me have said there is more of an edge to a skillful player in NLHE, and compared to the other games around, its just so easy to start playing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home