Tuesday, October 30, 2007

$100 tournies!

I've finally taken the plunge and started playing $100 tournies. I've opened an account on a skin of pokerroom, and have played their 9pm $100+8 game the last couple of nights. Both times there were about 110 players, and only the top 10 pay.

I prefer a top 20 structure personally - as you get two bubbles, one for the cash and one for the final table.

Yesterday I started well and had a good number of chips. The blinds were starting to bite and I was just to start changing up gears when I was dealt KJ. I raise 3x and get a caller from the button. Flop Jxxr. Great flop for me. My opponent is quite short-stacked, so i put him all in and he turns over aces. After that I flounder around and go out soon after.

Tonight I had one of those no hands games. None. None at all, for about 45 mins. Eventually (and thankfully) I'm dealt KK with about 1200 left (the good thing about my cards being so bad was that I wasn't putting any money in). I get it all in pre-flop against 2 players holding AJ and AQ. One hits a flush, and one a straight.

After than I sign up for the $4.5k on Crypto and with 90-ish runners I bust in 10th place, just in the money. I hit a few cards early (I flopped a full house holding 89s, and hit 2-pair at least twice more). This built me a big stack which I needed as I then went card dead again, winning (and playing) 1 pot in about 4 hands - which was when I had AJ in the BB and it was folded round to me. My hands picked up nearer the bubble, and I doubled up with ATs against 77 and then started playing pretty well, until I bluff it all away on about the 3rd hand at the FT.

I have 44 in the HJ, and raise 3x. 3 callers(!). Flop 873. The BB checks, I'm playing about 12,000 and the pot is 8,000. I push. The button calls with a slow-played AA (are you seeing a pattern here) and the BB who had played a pretty good game all night also called with the unexpected hand of T8. He probably put me on 2 overcards. The raise here isn't terrible, but the push is pretty bad. Its unlikely to get through 3 players, although the flop is sufficiently dis coordinated for me to have a chance against 1 opponent.

As an aside, the play in this tourny was pretty good, the best opponents I've faced in a while. There was 1 player I did respect, and only 1 or 2 absolute idiots.

Pleasingly though the play in the $108 on pokerroom is, on the evidence I've seen so far, pretty bad. I haven't got the bankroll to play a load of these tournaments if I don't cash soon, so I'm going to have to be careful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home