Friday, July 20, 2007

I am a good player, honest

(Or, is it better to be thought a muppet or a genius).

I've been looking my results on on sharkscope.com and officialpokerrankings.com. These websites track SitNGos and MTTs respectively, and both apparently show I'm a bad player. At SitnGos sharkscope claims I'm a fairly big looser, and OPR claim I win a bit, but my ranking is ludicrously low.

My excuses for this apparent awfulness are:
* Most of money has been won on Crypto
* I've had 1 'big' cash on Stars, but this was a while back and the rankings are weighted against apparent fluke results like this. This wasn't a fluke (honestly) because I've been cashing regularly away from Stars, but these aren't shown
* My SnG results aren't very good, particularly as I had a short-lived bash playing the $55s where there are some decent players. I'm not convinced I could beat this game now actually.

Which led me to wonder whether its better to be thought of as much worse than you are or much better. I suspect either are beneficial actually, as you want your opponent to have an incorrect (or alternatively very wide) range of hands for you. In some cases they will put you on a premium hand when you may be bluffing - or vice versa - but its all mistakes from them.

So, although if people pop my name into these sites they might think I'm a weaker player than I am, that may well not be to my detriment.

The last two $55 games I've entered have been something of a non-event. I bluffed my chips away in them both really, having not hit a flop worth the name for a couple of nights now. No biggie. In last night's last hand I raised from the BB into 4 limpers with 109o trying to steal the pots, and was called by the first limper. I missed the flop, which was something like J72, and I pushed, which was about a pot-sized bet. The limper instacalled with 55. He can't have been calling my inital bet for set value, and I rarely make moves like this with weak hands in the BB (although I think I should try more often - but probably when I've got more chips to start with) so I was a bit unfortunate to get looked up really.

Anyway, no poker for a week as seeing as England is suffering its worst summer in living memory with virtual constant rain I'm off camping. Should be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home