Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A win!

Despite having had a decent run of results and some good cashes I haven't won an MTT for quite a while. My last win was probably 6 months ago in a 45-person Stars SnG (and that doesn't really count) and before that I'm not sure.

Partly this is because short-handed play is amongst the weakest parts of my game. I know I should work at this more, and one day I will. At least I should play some more 1-table SnGs to practise. My heads-up play isn't terrible - and is actually probably better than most of the people I have got heads up against - but thats more a criticism of them than a real boast.

Anyway, todays victory ...

It was only in the crypto £2+0.25, 212 runners, but it was fun. It was a real chip-and-a-chair effort, as I was down to about 900 chips when the blinds were 150/300 with antes and I managed to come back. That had happened when my AQ on a Q-high board ran into someone with middle-pair and a flush draw. He correctly CRAI, I called and he hit.

3 hands later my A3 sucks out on A8 and I've got some fold-equity for my pushes, as the bubble approaches and I inch my way back.

Plenty of steals later and I am one of the chip leaders at the final table, where I actually play quite well. I figure out how the guy on my left is playing and manage to out-manouvre him a couple of times.


This hand was amongst the interesting ones. 4-players left. I'm dealt A7o on the button. I raise 3x and the BB calls. Flop 2d-9c-Jh. BB bets 3k (he's often bet weak and folded to a raise) I raise to 9k, he calls. I could have raised more here. Turn Ac. He checks. I don't put him on an ace at this point, and check-behind allowing him to bluff the river. The river is the 6s. He bets 18k, with ~45k behind him. I'm pretty sure I'm ahead, I think a bluff is far more likely than a value bet, but I'm don't think a raise will get paid off by a hand that I beat. So I call behind. He shows A6 for 2-pair and collects the pot.

If I can see his hand I should have bet the turn, but I'm actually quite happy with that.

After that I did get lucky a bit - getting a big stack when 66>A4 with 3 left, then winning 2 coin-flips: 66>KT and KQ>22.

So £120ish better off. Actually I've won quite a bit more than that recently - its just the first place which feels nice. Yay me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home