Saturday, April 14, 2007

Success at a higher level, and my largest ever cash!

A paradox this week. I've been playing satellites into the crypto £25 (8K guarantee) in the evenings, as my bankroll won't let me play these regularly (and probably never will actually - I'd cash it out and play lower), and with some success - I've made it in about 50% of the time.

All well and good. Last week I won into the 8K, played and I think played about as well as I ever have. I was getting good at putting players on hands, knew who to pick on at the table, made some decent plays and was doing well. I didn't have too many cards and busted out about 50th, when the top 30 paid. I was strangely satisfied though.

This week I played in the same tournament and came 5th for a shade under £500. Lovely. Only I'm not happy with how I played. I got lucky once when pushing with air post-flop and being called by K-high, and sucking out on the river. I also mis-played 99, when I think I should have let it go against two opponents who fortunately for me both had AKo.

Finally my final table play was terrible. I had a big stack all the way through, but was far to passive at the end, and I think I didn't defend my blinds once. When the money doesn't matter I can accumulate well, but I was the sucker folding away hoping to move up a place. Shocking. Hopefully I won't do this again, should I ever reach such a stage.

Thinking about it I ran deep in the Stars $8 tourny the other day (also final tabling IIRC) and I played that more aggresively. Maybe its not the buy-in, maybe its my perceptions of the other players. Anyway.

I'm pleased that I won the cash, and I'm also pleased I'm able to analyse my play effectively, but not pleased with how I played, which makes it seem unsatisfactory.

Still, thats the other half of my HD telly paid for now.

The question on my mind is whether I would be a profitable played at the £25 level, and although I am at the moment (after only about 15-20 tournies) I'm still far from sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home